Rotunda: free for children

Built in 1828 and the final resting place of an ancient British chief, Gristhorpe Man

Built in 1828 and the final resting place of an ancient British chief, Gristhorpe Man

William Smith, the pioneering geologist who was on his uppers when he settled in Scarborough, took an apartment at the corner of Bar Street (see the blue plaque) and suggested the shape of the building known affectionately as the Rotunda, created by the Philosophical and Archaeological Society. In addition to the social history collections, including a medieval folding spoon, there is the skeleton of an ancient chief buried with bronze and flint implements ... but it needs and deserves greater footfall, greater signposting and more effective public engagement.